Monday, October 20, 2014

Beer Battered Fried Fish Fillets - 52 Cooking with Beer Recipes

Pin It Now!

OH BOY FISH!

Takes me back to my youth.  My Grandpa lived on a lake and for awhile he owned and ran a bate shop.  I remember being about 5 years old and he would let me dip the minnows!

Just about every night we would eat fish (occasionally the ones I caught).  I even recall the open fire and cast iron pan that was used... Fancy set up, being balanced between a couple of cinder blocks.

But I digress...

This recipe is for a very basic beer batter.  Equal parts flour and cornmeal, seasonings and add beer until the batter is the right consistency.

The type of beer does very much change the flavor of the crispy coating.  In my opinion, a heavy dark beer like Guinness is overpowering.  A flavored beer (like an Amber Killian's) adds  a wonderful taste.

But for me, I like something with a little Citrus aftertaste like my Hometown brewed Boulevard Wheat.  Light and crisp taste with hints of lemon.

Sounds perfect for a mess 'o Fried Catfish (or the cheaper Asian version, Swai that I used here!

Enjoy!


OK... Here's what I did...


Beer Battered Fried Fish Fillets - 52 Cooking with Beer Recipes


Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Flour
  • 1 Cup Cornmeal
  • 1 TBS Sea Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Cajun Spice Mix (Make your own (Like my Big Easy in a Jar Spice Mix) or use a store bought mix)
  • 1 Bottle (12 OZ) Beer, room temperature
  • 4 - one inch thick Fish Fillets (I used Swai, an Asian Catfish)
  • Enough Vegetable Oil to cover 1 Inch of the bottom of heavy bottomed Frying Pan
  • Malt Vinegar, Lemon Wedges and Tartar Sauce for Garnish
Cooking Directions
  1. Prepare the Frying pan, add enough Vegetable or Canola Oil to cover about 1 inch of the bottom. Heat to 350 degrees.
  2. While the oil is heating, take each of the fish fillets and dry them with a paper towel. Allow to air dry while you ...
  3. Prepare the batter... Whisk together the Cornmeal, Flour, Salt and Cajun Spices. Add the beer and stir to mix.
  4. Dip each fillet into the Beer Batter and carefully drop into the frying pan HOT oil. Move them around a bit so they do not stick. Fry until they are golden brown and delicious looking and crispy. About 3 minutes depending on the oil temp. Flip and continue to fry until both sides are evenly golden brown and delicious.
  5. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
  6. Serve warm with Lemon Wedges, Tartar Sauce and Malt Vinegar... And Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP