Saturday, September 7, 2013

Grilled Mustard Aioli Potato Salad - Church PotLuck Side Dish

Pin It Now!

For my Grilling series, I have made several different potato salads... Blue Cheese, Country Dijon Bacon, a very popular Cheddar Cheese, a beautiful warm Bacon and Sage and recently a Sweet.Heat Pickled version (you can get all the links on my "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" Page).

Well, now with my sixth potato salad, I have decided that this new one is my very favorite.  I do like the idea of the others being made in advance, saving concerns at the crucial end game when you need to concentrate on the grilled food and getting all of the hot food served together while still hot.  BUT... These potatoes can be mostly done in advance, just saving about 5 minutes of work for the end to get a slight grilled char color and taste added.  Usually those 5 minutes are after the meat is off the grill and you need to let the meat rest before slicing.

So, if you have 5 minutes to cook and another 5 minutes to spread the garnishes you will be rewarded with an incredibly tasty, delicious, colorful and unique grilled potato salad!

Utterly Delicious!

I am also including this in my Church PotLuck series of dishes.  I did indeed make and serve this at my BIG Labor Day end of summer BBQ.  It was served while still steaming hot from the grill.  BUT... I partied and played with my family and friends, ate more than I should for several hours.  The potatoes reached room temperature (inside, air conditioned room temperature) before we started packing up the leftovers.  I started nibbling as I packed and low and behold... Still DELICIOUS!  It was not refrigerator cold, but only slightly chilled and really was just as good as steaming fresh off the grill.  While the dish does take a few minutes to prep, really start to finish you can have this done in 30 minutes.  Something you could schedule your time management before church or before you leave for the family get together, friends PotLuck or big holiday meal.  Go ahead and let it cool while you wait for the meal to start... Still Utterly Delicious!

And, BTW, while grilling anything adds something special to any dish, this could be made in the broiler.  You only want to char the outside a bit, cook and crisp the aioli onto the potatoes, add a few beautiful char marks (adds variety of textures and tastes).  SO carefully watching the broiler during those 3 minutes (per side) will achieve just about the same look.


OK... Here's what I did...


Grilled Mustard Aioli Potato Salad


Ingredients
  • For the Mustard Aioli
  • 3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
  • 2 TBS Whole Grain Mustard
  • 2 TBS Honey
  • 4 Cloves Garlic, peeled, lightly salted, smashed to a paste
  • Pinch Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • For the Potatoes (and the Garnishes)
  • 3 Pounds Red Potatoes, Halved and Sliced to bite Size
  • 1/4 Cup Salt
  • 1/2 Pound Bacon, cut to pieces and fried crispy For Garnish
  • 2 Green Onions, sliced, white and green parts
  • Small handfull Fresh Cut Parsley, chopped
  • Small Handfull Fresh Cut Sage, Chopped
  • Sprinkle of Smoked Paprika for Garnish
Cooking Directions
  1. Boil the potato slices in a pot with 1/4 Cup Salt and enough water to cover by a couple of inches. Cook until a fork can easily pierce a slice, about 12 minutes Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, make the flavored Aioli... Whisk together all of the ingredients for the aioli.
  3. While the potatoes are still hot, carefully mix the aioli with the potatoes. Do this about 1/4 of each at a time so that you do not mash the cooked tender potatoes. You want them well coated but still shaped as slices.
  4. Over a HOT grill, direct heat (You could do this in the oven with the broiler setting), using a large grill pan (one of those pans with holes in them), place the potatoes on the pan in a single layer and allow to cook until the aioli starts to char, about 3 minutes
  5. Turn the potatoes over and repeat
  6. Garnish with the fresh herbs, Green onion slices and bacon. Sprinkle the Paprika for additional color contrast
  7. Serve WARM, But is also delicious as a room temperature potato salad for a PotLuck and ENJOY!!!

******************************************************

This recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Church PotLuck Dishes"!

A list of something NEW worthy of being shown off at a neighborhood BYODish (Bring Your Own Dish) Party, a Family special occasion dinner, Any Big Holiday Gathering or of course that glorious day when you bring a dish to share with your Church family...

Ages ago, literally almost a half century ago I was listening to our pastor talking about a PotLuck Dinner. It happened to be scheduled around a church work day when we were expected to weed, polish and do general cleaning and maintenance around the church (you know, back in the day when there were no no-wax floors and church pews smelled of Old English furniture polish). I am of course paraphrasing, but as I recall the pastor said,

"A potluck, like a church requires work. At a potluck everyone is expected to contribute.. At a church no one should come empty handed and no one should leave unfed".
I will confess that in my youth I brought more store bought plastic spoons and forks than I ever brought covered dishes and crock pots of fresh made love and caring delights. But now that I have become a hobbyist cook, I occasionally am reminded of those days and people from my youth. I reminded and I do wish that I could drop a dish of some new creation on those old tables at my fondly remembered Liberty Baptist Church.  Tables covered with newspapers and loaded with God's bounty prepared with love and caring... Enjoy

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Specialty Salad Recipes"!!!

Sometimes they are the main course, sometimes a lunch and sometimes they are the side dish... And if you count Jell-o salad you can even make a dessert of a salad.  Here are a few of my favorite salads that get far more Ooohs and Aaahs than that simple chopped head of lettuce.

Links include Potato Salads, Cole Slaws, and Plenty of greens and fixins' Salads... And more than a few matching FRESH MADE Jam Jar make it yourself Salad Dressings!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to have found your boards. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete

FMP